Featured Post

Background of the Basque

       The basque inhabit an area of northern Spain and southern France around the Bay of Biscay and have been there for thousands of year...

Monday, November 14, 2016

Language

Language
Shannon LeGath
Introduction to Anthropology



There are many languages in this world, but for now lets talk about information within language from the Basque. "The concept of motion is present in all the world's languages" as said by the author, Ibarretxe-Antunano (2015:307). However, it seems to be that there are ways where speakers, especially of different languages arrange motion which tend to be not so universal. Languages offer so many different forms of structures to explain motion, and speakers pay attention to different parts within the motion events (Ibarretxe-Antunano 2015).

The goal of this blog post is to show others in great detail how motion effects the Basque language and also how motion makes the Basque language "their" language and why it differs from so many other languages. The Basque language is described and expressed in Basque communicating with talking to one another and written in books. This specific language is focused on three main areas: motion verbs, elaboration of Manner and elaboration of Path (Ibarretxe-Antunano 2015).

A lot of people say that Basque can be classified as a verb-framed language. Although, it happens to be argued more often than not that it is not a prototypical example of this group with respect of  Path. "Unlike other verb-framed languages, the description of Path in Basque motion events is very frequent and detailed, not only in situations when it adds new information, but also in pleonastic cases." (2015:307). This specific characteristic is seemed to be related to the Basque's rich lexical resources for space and such. Also it has high tolerance for verb omission.

All in all, the basis of this data is to scope Talmy's binary typology and determine if it is questioned. People have suggested that the verb-and satellite-framed language typology should be overlooked in order to account for so-called intra-typological differences (Ibarretxe-Antunano 2015). Obviously, the Basque has their own way of doing things and their language is like none other but, that is what makes their language so unique and I believe that is what makes it so different from other cultures as well.

References

Ibarretxe-Antunano, Iradie. 2015. "Going beyond motion events typology: The case of Basque as a verb-framed language." Folia Linguistica p307-352. 46p. 1 color Photograph, 3 Diagrams, 6 Charts.

iCross-Cultutal Citizen.jpg


2 comments:

  1. Shannon, I will give you credit for the PA because you did it, but this needs to be reflexive. With language, it is easy to make it so. Remember, POSITIONALITY< SITUATIONALITY, and BIOGRAPHY?
    English, is your language. How much power do you have by speaking it, writing it, as opposed to people in that culture or others. Biographically, you can also talk about situations where language played a role in your life. Please, make the changes and talk about this in the presentation. Thanks for being very responsible wit hour work in my class throughout. I do appreciate the respect and attention you paid the entire semester. An honor to have you in class :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reflexive Paragraph
    Shannon LeGath


    Language is a part of everyday life. If we didn’t have language, I feel like our world would be very different. Learning and hearing different languages is an interesting part of life. Therefore, I feel like I have a great deal of power within the language I speak… which is, English. In my opinion, English is a very easy language to learn and speak but then again, I have been speaking it my whole life.
    To other people in different cultures they may feel that their language is the easiest, I feel in that sense people are bias towards their own culture which is the most common thing to happen. So, with what I said about people being bias towards their own language in their culture, I take action for that as well because of what I stated above in regards to me thinking that the English language is the easiest to speak and learn.
    Taking that into another direction… I also feel that I have power with the English language in writing as well. As much as it is a benefit to speak it, I feel that it is an even bigger benefit to write it. Some people in other cultures do not know to write in their language or maybe they know how to write it and not speak it. Some cultures may see that as an advantage or a disadvantage… personally, I feel that if you can speak and write in your cultural language that is an advantage all in itself.
    In conclusion, most of the time, I can write better than I speak. I feel that writing is more powerful than talking sometimes, when I write papers I feel that my words flow better and make more sense as opposed to when I talk, sometimes my words get all mixed up and then what I try to say does not come out right. However, when I can express my words or feelings on paper it just makes things a lot easier for me. Taking this reference back to what I said before, some people in different cultures are not that lucky. Often times, the outcome is they can do one but not the other which is fine but I know that I personally love that I can speak and write in my own cultural language-English.

    ReplyDelete